Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Sad

I'm sorry guys, I just can't this morning. I am so very sad today, and a little angry, but mostly, mostly I'm scared. I'm scared for everyone around me who needed this country to move forward, not backwards. I'm scared for the economy, health care, and climate science. I'm scared for women's rights, for free speech, immigrants, religious freedom and a free press. I'm scared over international relations, the Supreme Court and the nuclear codes.

I hope that I'm overreacting. I hope that underneath all the bravado, lies, rants, and fear-mongering, there is a decent human being that will not let us devolve into a nationalistic, hate-filled country. Right now though, I'm scared for it all and I'm sad that my daughter's won't get the first female president and that they'll be scared too. Scared because they know all the things this fellow did, got away with, and still got elected. Scared because they know he gave a voice to people like the KKK and the Alt-right and made racism, xenophobia, and misogyny socially acceptable behaviors.

I know that the sun will still rise today and we still have to go about our lives, but I've read enough history to know that this could be the beginning of much worse to come. So today I'm just going to try to make it though without crying all day and that will be my first step.

3 comments:

Fox said...

I hear you loud and clear. I'm scared too. My kids live in Manhattan. :(

craftie sylvie said...

Sad too. I'm not an American, but of course what happens in the US has consequences abroad and I do hope they won't be too harsh. Scared too. Because we vote in only a few months here in France and may very well end up with a similar frightening result. Yes, this woud mean we'd have a woman for a president. But that woman would lead my country to chaos. Well, let's keep on the fight and hope for the best. Anyway, I wanted to say that anyone with a brain around me, and myself of course, are sad, but well aware that all the Americans didn't suddenly change into millions of Trumps. Whatever the reasons for his election, we won't make the mistake of assimilating the whole population to his ideas and behaviour. I'm sorry I can't change anything or bring more comfort. I just feel that if Mrs Front National is my next president, I'll be glad to know I'm not seen around the world as one of her supporters. Here is my plan for the next four years: trust the various counsellers and commitees and commissions and..... to prevent things from falling apart, and remain the friend of the American people I've always been.

Crazy Mom! said...

Very very sad too - hard to believe this is our country with such hate and vitriol. Pray for wisdom and clarity - and kindness