Friday, November 11, 2016

I Tried

I wanted to just blog today about how lovely it was to get an order in my shop. It came in early in the morning and I got to spend much of the day tatting. It was soothing and focusing for me. Schooling went well and afterwards I got to sit on the couch with some comfort TV and my needle and thread.







Later, when the necklace I was remaking was completed, I pulled
out my crochet project and worked on that. I even finished the project, my cocoon. I'll get a photo later today to show you. It is beyond comfy. Then in the evening when the husband and the oldest daughter were out at a football game, I stayed up a little late with my youngest and we read our novels side-by-side until we were tired enough to go to sleep.

Then I made a bit of a mistake, I checked my emails right before bed and saw the notification for a comment on yesterday's post here. I wanted to just ignore it, but I decided that the gloves are off now and I can't just follow the rules of polite conversation and pretend that I'm okay with all of this anymore. This is not a matter of simple divergent political views, I respect those even when they are diametrically opposed to my own. Diversity is the spice of life and that is precisely why this election result is so sad. I understand that people were frustrated and wanted economic and governmental change, but I refuse to accept that this was the right way to get it. We are faced with a leader endorsed by the KKK, loved by the Alt-right, the preferred choice of Putin, white supremacists, misogynists and those people are already using his election as tacit permission to be awful in plain sight. We are faced with millions of people possibly losing healthcare they won't get back, rights that they fought so hard for stripped away, being deported, banned or forced to register because of their religion. Will all of that actual happen? Who knows, but he said he'd do it all and why shouldn't be believe that it's certainly possible.

Look I don't like ranting like this, I like tying knots in string and telling you about it. I am going to do that every chance I get, but I'm still dealing with my own grief cycle here and since this is my space, I'm going to use it when I need to. The comment I got said they they won't be reading my blog anymore and frankly if everything I just ranted about is totally fine with you, please do go and don't come back, because none of that is okay with me.

4 comments:

victats@gmail.com said...

Kind of a shut up and tat moment...Don't worry too much about it. Its your blog and you get to choose the content. If anyone was surprised you are a liberal they weren't paying attention. Cheers to free speach and the 19th ammendment.

Carolyn said...

Well, it is your blog and you get an opinion just like the rest, even if it does not agree with mine (it does, btw). This has been a long rode to the election and I fear it is another long road to wherever this is going. It disheartens me, but I also have hope that kindness and tolerance and understanding will when the day. It may take far longer than I wish, but it will. Peace out, sister. I love your tatting and I enjoy hearing about your life. Now, off I go to conquer a bit of tatting that has been very difficult for me!

Maureen said...

Not commenting on your Election result in any way! - but I was amused, apropos of which, to read yesterday that the Aphyu shop in Japan wrote to say that she had suddenly been flooded with orders from America! Either celebrating or compensating I suppose, and why not.If you are a tatter, how better to rejoice, or to seek comfort, than in taking pleasure from a new shuttle, book or thread.

LinGaupo said...

I just recently got interested in needle tatting and I've loved exploring the Internet to find people who have patterns and advice. It was a pleasure to find your blog, a more modern less conservative craft blog, as they are much less common. Make no mistake, expressing the hurt you are feeling right now is one of the reasons I will be back (also because of the really awesome patterns and crafts).