Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Shawl

So yesterday I was working along on my most recent doily when I had a thought, well, it was a resurgence of a thought actually. Days ago, someone on my facebook page made a comment on one of my Armenian lace photos about wanting a shawl like that. I thought, well of course that's possible, but I let it pass by. Then yesterday I grabbed a skein of yarn and decided to try it out for a change of pace.

So first let me talk about the yarn choice. It's Loops and Thread,
Wool-like. It's soft and has a bit of a stretch to it which does not lend itself well to the knotting process. To say it's fiddly would be an understatement. That being said it's working up with a lovely drape for a shawl. If I had something perhaps cotton on hand, I would have probably chose that instead, but I work with what I have. I'm using a large blunt embroidery needle, so undoing any mistakes is pretty much right out. Luckily that hasn't been an issue yet, but it is more difficult to create loops in the right size as the fibers seem to grab on to each other where the yarn runs over during the knotting. I guess what I'm saying is that this takes a lot more concentration and attention to detail.

As you can see, it's working up quite quickly regardless of the difficulties. I know it will slow down as it grows, but I'll keep at it as long as I can. I don't even knit or crochet shawls save for maybe once or twice, but I do want to see if I can get it to size if, for no other reason, to say that I've done it.

1 comment:

Denise - Jewelry By Denise said...

Beautiful! I've been obsessed with shawls lately, making, not so much wearing them yet. I can't wait to see the finished piece!