Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Done and Done

I started the day with plans to watch my nieces, but they apparently slept in and we had the house to ourselves for the day. I had two pieces of crochet cord and a desire to use them to make something, so I spent the day with them. This first one here is destined to be a bracelet like the last one. I went ahead and learned a couple new stitches for this one. I looked through an old lace book I got on the Antique Pattern Library. It's actually a book on Battenberg lace, but the concept seems the same save for the use of what I assume is the 'tape' in tape lace. It looks like ribbon and the cord serves the same purpose except with more surface area for stitching and hiding thread. I still didn't bother to learn the names of the stitches, just thought they looked neat and gave them a go.

This next one was still done without a pattern and simply by eyeballing, but I attempted to make it fairly symmetrical. I know it's not perfect, but if I'd wanted perfect I would have taken the time to drawn up a pattern. I thought this piece had an 'evil eye' vibe so if nothing else it already has a name. The plan is to add chains on the side of this one and turn it into a necklace.

I do have a question I need help with regarding the bracelets. Would you prefer them with metal lobster clasps or with the sliding macrame clasp I did on my last simple necklace? I want to try to get them in the shop today if I can figure that bit out. Oh, and I wouldn't hate price opinions on these either.

So today if I can figure out clasps and prices, I'll get these all up in my shop. If not I'll just sit on them another day. Either way I'll probably spend much of the day making new cords and thinking about what's next. I'm hoping to combine tatting and the Romanian point lace at some point, but the idea hasn't coalesced yet. These pieces definitely have potential as all sorts of pieces as I get braver and make larger ones. That might be a while though.

2 comments:

SWtrompeter said...

Hmmm....I don't see/feel any 'evil eye' vibes from the necklace, but it IS beautiful. :-)

Some people are allergic to many metals, but they COULD wear the macramé-type clasps. A button (non-metal) and loop would work, too, as a clasp, but I really like the macramé one.

Denise - Jewelry By Denise said...

I've never used a macrame sliding knot but I'd prefer a clasp. Could a 'button' be made with rpl and then use the suggestion above to make a clasp with it and loop? Just a thought. Or some variation of a crochet button since crochet is used and would tie in nicely.