Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Spiders

First off, I really want to thank everyone for their comments and words of support yesterday. It really means a lot that you took the time to share them. I know many of you have been through the loss of a pet as well and it helps to not feel alone with it. On to less depressing things now.

I decided to redo the spider section once before moving on and I'm really glad I did so. One of the issues I was having with this one was all the diagonals and making sure I left off the bobbin in the right spot. Again it was really an issue of understanding why I needed a bobbin in a certain place. On this second go, having already mucked it up once, I had that firmly in mind and I think that I got it. Sure there are still plenty of issues to work on here. My tension is sloppy, my spiders legs are too long and clearly using sewing thread results in an inferior lace, but I've going through so much thread right now that it seems the most economical way to work. I figure once I'm ready to produce a 'real' piece of lace I'll spring for better thread.

I did finish this one piece over the course of the day and it certainly kept my mind occupied. While there are still the afore mentioned issues with the piece, my previous mistakes were not repeated, so I'm calling it a win. I'm a little bummed that I didn't get any orders to force me to get to tatting as well, but I did get the bobbins wound for the next lesson.

So today I've got more bobbin lessons and I need to start thinking about cleaning the house for next weekend. The oldest daughter's birthday is fast approaching and that means a house full of family. I probably won't actually clean, but it'll be on my mind. I'm going to go ahead and cross my fingers for a tatting task again as well. It has to work someday right? Either way I'm going to force myself busy.

3 comments:

SWtrompeter said...

Your spiders are looking good. With practice, they will soon look like the pictures in whatever book/lessons you're using. When I was learning bobbin lace, my teacher/mentor had me using size 20 and size 30 threads - with the prickings blown up to HUGE proportions. She was a firm believer in 'learning with larger threads' then working your way down to smaller threads after you became a bit more proficient with the larger ones. It *does* make it easier to see what you're doing, I will admit that. :-) If you still have the linen threads - the ones that are murder to tat with - they're great to use for bobbin lace. Definitely looking good!

erin said...

Hi, Totie!

The bobbin lace is looking good. If you don't want to spring for thread and your eyes can stand it (which I suspect they can as you easily do all that work in black), you can reduce the size of the pricking to suit the thread. Just a thought.

Back to lurkdom, Erin

Carolyn said...

So interested in this bobbin lace thing! It is fascinating to me! Now I am searching out tutorials and information on it like a crazed person. I am impressed with what you have done so far. Not sure I can dive into it at this juncture as the supplies would have to be imported which would cost a fortune in shipping and my cat, well, she would see those dangly bits and not be able to control herself...