Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Fail

I spent most of yesterday morning cleaning and avoiding tatting anything new. I know, that sounds all backwards doesn't it? I didn't want to tat because I had no new ideas, no orders, and I was doing that thing where I wonder why I bother making anything if nothing is selling. I know I do it all the time, but I'm going to go ahead and blame the overcast, yet really hot day.

Eventually I sat down and scrolled through vintage jewelry designs, not tatting, on Pinterest looking for inspiration. I ran across some really neat Art Deco pieces and thought maybe I could replicate one of them. I started with a small heart I had already designed and then tried to mimic a row of pearls with split rings. The result, as you see, is a little...I'm going to go with, off.

I posted it online with the description of it being a complete fail. I still maintain that it is despite an avalanche of comments suggesting many different small changes to make it work. Sure the heart at the top is fine, but I already have that in the shop. I think it looks like a man with an enormous head. Some of the suggestions were that I flip it over, or double it. While I might get back to it one day, it's in the reject heap for now, evidence that not everything that comes off my needle, works.

I was so lucky to wake up to a nice sizable order this morning. Once I get the custom piece in the order made, then I can remake all the other pieces which will give me plenty of work to do today and maybe even tomorrow without having to call on my clearly deficient creativity. This is definitely a good thing.

No comments: