Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Organic Linen

I worked so hard yesterday to finish a pair of ankle corsets so that I could finally, really play with the Lithuanian linen thread. After doing some actual making I have more information to share on how it behaves...you know, if you're interested. I got a three ball set in black, dark and light gray. It's that combination that finally got me to try it. After more work with it I would definitely put it in the size 20 range. I say range because unlike the perfect Lizbeth or DMC cotton thread that I've gotten used to, there is a variation in thickness throughout the thread. It reminds me a little of hemp or twine in that respect. It is also rougher on the hands while working with it.

I decided to use the opportunity of the new thread to also try out Etsy's new listing variations tool. It allow you to make one listing with a drop down menu the customer has to use before checkout with options like color and size, among others. My one quibble is that we have recently gotten a 'ships in' tool as well where we indicate the time before shipping and since I have black pieces ready to ship I've selected 1-2 days for the listings I've updated, but if I add color options those would need more lead time to be made to order and there isn't a way to separate those in a single listing yet.

I made up a rose tattoo pendant in each color for this experiment. I was trying to find something that would still look nice sized down in size 20 since most of my work is done in 10 and had that whole Eco-friendly vibe to it. I also tried to be as forthcoming about the differences in the thread in the listing. The lace works up less evenly with the thickness variations and there is a slight fuzziness to it as well. I was quite worried about it being scratchy as well since that's how it was behaving when I worked with it. According to Internet sources, linen softens over time and with washings so I was hoping that a nice press with steam would help and boy did it. The pendants are quite soft now. It was this worry that kept me from starting with barefoot sandals which were suggested as an Eco-friendly feeling pattern. Now that I know they will be comfortable to wear I'll have to devise a pattern that works well in size 20.

Of course I don't mean to imply that everyone who wants Eco-friendly products has a certain aesthetic. I personally want more organic and natural things in my life and I clearly have a darker aesthetic than the stereotype. This is part of the reason for the black thread, to try to provide that option to people who don't always get it, but it seemed a nice place to start was closer to the stereotype. I should have some time today to work on another set of something in the linen since I was order free yesterday and I'm trying to avoid remaking a mask right now. I just want things that work up quickly for a while, so I should have something to show you tomorrow too.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

I've worked with linen yarn before and it was like dental floss until I washed it and through it in the dryer (counterintuitive) but it's now so soft that I've made baby items with it. You have to work it as is but then wash and dry and it's very, very soft.

Michelle said...

threw!!! not through, argh.

Tattin' Kat said...

Where did you buy the thread? This might be something I would like to try out.

Tattin' Kat said...

And what exactly was it called that you bought? It is nice to see how something works up before buying it. Thanks!!

TotusMel said...

@Tattin' Kat I got the thread on etsy, mine was 2 ply unwaxed from Lithuania, but it looks like there are a few other sellers there as well.

Unknown said...

I've made a piece of lace with a linen thread sample I had. I really liked the way it looked. Yes, a little like hemp and, certainly, very earthy. I like tatting in different threads. Fun stuff.