Friday, August 31, 2012

New!

I just couldn't do it. I couldn't go through another day of remaking with nothing to share with anyone all day long. So after schooling wrapped and I consumed some lunch, I started doodling. I seriously had no real intent at all. I just needed to make something new. The one on the bottom here was maybe the third bit I made up and that's when the idea gelled. The middle one has all the stitch counts worked out right and the top one was an experiment with beads which I decided that I liked, though I still had no idea what the doodle would grow up to be.

Okay, it wasn't hard to just go with earrings, but I figured I needed to have a pendant too and it needed to be bigger than the earring version. I'm not going to confess to just how many prototypes I had to work up before it worked. Suffice it to say, it was not an instant creation. Someone on facebook asked if this was a share. I assume they meant was I going to share the pattern. This led to me thinking about it and coming to an unfortunate conclusion that I wanted to share with you. No. It's probably not why you think though. I really can't share it because I used so many oddball moves in it's creation that I don't even know where to begin in writing it down. This is not the first piece I've made that I've faced this problem. I'm just not all that great at writing up patterns in the first place and when I do strange moves to solve design problems, I'm not thinking from a publishing standpoint, I'm just working it out in a way that works for me. I'm left with a pattern I couldn't rightly explain any other way than in person. I'm not even certain that a video would work.

Maybe someday my pattern writing skills will catch up with my pattern creating skills and the world will suffer through all my odd ticks, until then though I shall have to let some designs remain enigmatic. Though I'm fairly certain there are those out there who are clever enough to figure it out all by themselves or at least their own way of accomplishing the same look.

I'm going to try to get these listed today and maybe make another set up in some different colors if for no other reason than to practice the design. Then it's back to the salt mine remaking and maybe getting on one of those other tasks I've mentioned and then ignored like the masks or cat headbands. Man, I've been unfocused lately. Silly new school year messing with my summer routine. Hopefully the fall routine sets in soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pam, are these onion rings?