Wednesday, January 18, 2012

So Many Chains

I think I did it again. You know, went overboard making a piece that I really like, but I might be the only one. I do this often especially if the piece is easy to make. I'll whip up a bunch in different colors and they'll just sit in the shop, relatively unloved and definitely unsold. The last time was when I made a bunch of bracelets in comic book character colors. I made like seven of them and I still haven't sold one. It also looks like seven is my number too because I made seven of these pieces as well. Though at least this time it's necklaces, bracelets and earrings. I know it's really way too early for me to start all this negativity, but when I listed them all yesterday, they weren't praised. I know, I know, it's ridiculous for me to expect people to fawn over everything I make, but if you've been around a while you know I have an ego that likes to be fed. Luckily, I am bigger than that ego and I still like the pieces...though I have promised myself that I will make no more of them until they start selling or they are requested.
I had another of those weird, 'something's off' days again too. I don't know if it's the weather, the impending tax season or some mysterious entity that's got me all weird, but I think that was a contributing factor in the sentiment I just wrote. I must, however, keep moving on even if I have no clue where I'm going today. There are still pieces that need remaking that I haven't gotten to yet, so that's likely what I'll get up to today. I am really fiending to make more chains, but at this point I've accepted that that is counterproductive, so remaking it is. I'm hoping today is one of those pleasant surprises sort of days...yeah, that would be nice.

3 comments:

Ms Jamie said...

Maybe take this chain idea one step further.My favorite style is the rope chain.The texture that the interlocking rings create might lend itself well to your design.

Marilee Rockley said...

It may be that people just don't comprehend that it's a clever handmade item pushing the limits of the technique.

TotusMel said...

Thanks @Ms Jamie, maybe something to try!
@Marliee What a nice hing to say, I'm flattered!