Thursday, October 27, 2011

More Doilies

I had a fairly uneventful day. I got the last necklace that needed to be remade finished and back up in the shop. Then I spent some time trying to suss out the simplest snowflake pattern I could for the free gift with purchase idea. Of course I just ended up sticking with the same one I used years ago when I did sell them in the shop. It's just a variation on the simple flower pendant that I did one of my Instructables on. I figure if I knock out a couple of them a day in black and white as per your suggestions, I should be able to have enough on hand as gifts without taxing myself with them.

Later in the afternoon I decided that I really would go ahead and try another doily bracelet. This time I went back to the very first pattern book I ever bought, Anne Orr's Classic Tatting Patterns, and the first large doily I ever made. Okay, it was the only large doily I ever made, but it's huge and it took forever. Anyway, I used the center of the design for this one. Based on the size I knew I wouldn't be able to just do a smaller one on the side, so I did a half or partial one instead. In the picture I still have another row to go and I attached it to the side as if one was overlapping the other.

Since the last row is so loose, the resulting cuff has quite the frill to it and this one won't just wrap and lay flat like the other. Of course if I wanted it to behave exactly the same way, there would be no point to using a different design to do the same thing. I should have this one finished, photographed properly and listed later today. After that I really have no pressing plans again. I should get back to the gift project, but I just haven't been feeling it lately. Boy, us creatives are whiny, fickle people. It's a wonder we get anything done without a deadline staring at us. Well, off to it then.

No comments: