Thursday, October 15, 2009

60

Today is my mother in law's birthday and yesterday, for some unexplainable reason, I decided that I should draw her something for the occasion. I haven't picked up my pens in...well quite some time. I used to draw a lot. I never really thought of myself as an artist particularly because both of my brothers are unmistakably artists. Comparably speaking, mine pieces are child like doodles. Yes, I know that we work in completely different styles that really cannot be compared, but still the difference is clear. Anyway, now that I've digressed into self loathing in order to make myself feel better about my achievement, here's my present.I don't really think she is gong to stumble onto the blog today and ruin the gift, but if she does...happy birthday, I hope you like it!

I didn't get as much tatting done yesterday as I had planned.I was sidetracked by not only the gift making intermission, but also a much longer school day for my daughter. I've learned that I need to take advantage of those days when she seems not only willing to learn, but actually focused. I taught more lessons than I needed to since she was still in a good mood and we still have plenty to catch up on with our nearly two week late start to the school year. Hopefully today should be another productive day in one way or another. Still not getting a whole lot of sleep with all the coughing around here, but it's getting better and time stops for no man... or mom in this case.

5 comments:

dalij said...

No sleep for me either and my little one is worse than yours. Zoya has been vomiting and has had diarrea since I picked her up from day-care. I have no clean sheets left and need to clean (shampoo) the carpet. So I'd gladly exchange places with you!

Australis said...

I think that you are an artist. This painting is really beautiful and creative.

Whimsical Kelly said...

Lovely artwork! My eye is immediately drawn to the center of the piece, and there's something very peaceful about it. It makes me think of rivers, trees, and those gloomy days when there is also a sense of peace. (Hard to describe the exact feeling. Fall is my favorite season, so even the gloomy days have great beauty to me.)

I think a lot of us have difficulty using the terms "artist" or "artisan" when it comes to our own work. I know that I have been called an artisan, but I would never apply that term to myself. I'm just a crafter who occassionally turns out some rather pretty things.

Emi said...

Nice work! I really love the way you used the thick black lines and varying sizes of circles to create quite the dramatic and yet, as Angus said, very peaceful effect.
Really beautiful piece, I'm sure your mother-in-law will appreciate it.

Jennifer Nicole said...

That ink drawing is gorgeous - I'm sure your mom will love it.

And hey, those extra long school days may be time-restrictive, but that means when she can't concentrate or gets sick, you'll be ahead, right? (Or at least less far behind.)