Monday, April 14, 2008

Pretty, Pretty, Shiny, Shiny

...or why I choose not to take advice from you.

I've been online since 1995 mostly because my husband is a computer guy. I've seen a lot of things change because of the Internet, but human nature remains basically the same. People are crows. They like their entertainment shiny, full of pretty pictures and just a dash of substance. I know this, yet I was surprised when I read a thread that suggested that text heavy blogs were not worth the time to revisit. We are, it seems a culture that loves to read... captions on photos.

I know folks who won't see a movie if it has "too much talking" or read anything more complex than People Magazine. Don't get me wrong, I flip through magazines and enjoy a good popcorn movie just as much as anyone, but I refuse to let that sort of thing be my sole source of information or entertainment. I am certainly not going to write to the lowest common denominator just to get more readers in a blog. This is my outlet, my little corner in cyberspace and I'll write how I want to! Read it or not, that's your choice.

Now, I know a lot of folks blog for the sole purpose of advertising themselves, their business or just to gain a small degree of fame. Those folks need to listen to the public and learn to be shiny in order to make that work for them. I would never fault someone for working within the system, that's just not my thing. I will definitely try to write things worth reading, full of substance and hopefully interesting. I'm certain to add a few shiny pictures when it serves my purpose, but never for the sole purpose of attracting crows(or buyers).

What did your mother always tell you? If they don't like you for who you are, then they aren't worth having as friends anyway.

5 comments:

Moonchild Dancing! said...

Way to go! I agree, tho I admit now that you brought it up, my blog is a bit shiny but it's partly due to the fact that I just plain run out of time and shiny is pretty and also sometimes, less truly is more or less is just as much. But, I agree with you and I love your blog! As Dr. Seuss has said...

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

that_rat said...

So what does being a "computer guy" have to do with being on-line?
...oh wait, nevermind.

UniqueNurseGranny said...

Thank you.My blog is wat text heavy.I enjoy those with pictures too but mine is geared toward the subject not the pictures.It made me feel better to read your response.

Waterrose said...

What a great commentary. Many of my posts are long, but how else do you explain something in two sentences? I love to read and am always looking for substance. I think one of the issues is that we have all become ADD...with so many attractive ways to spend our time, we can't focus for long....but that is just my opinion...

Unknown said...

Well said.